As a Mother, your plate of decisions to make for you, your baby and your growing family will always be full. There are endless resources, opinions and avenues to walk down on this journey and deciding how/where you want to give birth can the most overwhelming.
Some women want to be at home, with the company of midwives and doulas, while others prefer (or have to be) in a hospital. But there is an option in between the two that has been trending among the Mamas, especially in the surrounding Philadelphia area. Unfortunately, there are no free standing birth centers in the actual city limits of Philly, but the Main Line, Reading and just over the border to Newark could be options that work for you and your family.
Birth Centers are blend of the at home-feel and care, while also being close to (or in) a hospital. You will be surrounded by medical professionals, with home-like care and more options for pain management. You will have access to showers, birthing tubs and space to walk and move around freely. Following a midwife model for delivery and care, they are also less likely to intervene during birth, allowing a more natural progression and a much less percentage of cesarean deliveries than hospitals.
TOP BIRTH CENTERS IN PHILADELPHIA AREA
- Lifecycle WomanCare in Bryn Mawr was the first free standing birth center established in the Philadelphia area. Their extensive history of safe births carries a clout of legacy in the area. Lifecycle Woman Care is committed to a more natural birth experience, but is conveniently located between two hospitals in case of unexpected complications.
- The Birth Center: Holistic Women’s Health Care, Newark Delaware. More than just a birth center, you can find education, lactation consultants and full menopausal and gynecological exams. For low-risk pregnancies, labor and birth does not need to occur in a hospital setting. Their beautiful birthing rooms are designed to be comfortable and provide a relaxing and safe environment for low-risk pregnant patients. They offer birthing tubs for use in labor and/or birth.
- Reading Midwife Center for Women’s Wellness, Reading Pennsylvania. This center is warm, private and welcoming for all patients and their families, offering gentle, personalized care in a relaxed, home-like setting. Located near a hospital, they are well-equipped for safe, efficient transportation during labor in case of emergencies. Check out their FAQ’s for more personalized question and answers.
- Bryn Mawr Hospital is not an independent birth center, but their labor and delivery floor has been recognized by local Mamas and doulas recently by having an at-home feel with their care. The nurses and medical professionals work collaboratively with midwives and doulas, using water, showers and pain management techniques for a more natural-style birth, while being inside a hospital. The Main Line Health Labor and Delivery teams practice in Paoli, Riddle, Lankenau and Bryn Mawr, though the practitioners at Bryn Mawr have been all the buzz recently.
Working with doula and midwife collectives can help you design a birth plan and birth place that works best for you and your needs as an expecting mother. Once you have found the place for you, you can move on to more fun decisions like booking your newborn photographer!
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR MORE CONTENT ON PREGNANCY CARE IN PHILADELPHIA?
- Prenatal Self Care and Pain Management
- Prenatal Yoga Practitioners
- Understanding What a Doula is and How They Can Help You
Hello. Thank you for visiting. I am Steph, owner of Steph Kines Photo, specializing in working with young families, expecting women and growing babies in the Philadelphia area. I hope you found my Best Birth Centers | Philadelphia blog feature helpful and inspiring. If you are interested in booking a photography session and would like to talk more about how we will spend our time together, let’s connect here. Finding your photographer can take time, so if you would like to follow along and see more behind the scenes, follow me on Instagram.
Steph is Philadelphia’s Natural Newborn Photographer, specializing in finding light and connection in your own space. She offers maternity, family, milestone and newborn photography in a warm, natural and unexpected way. Her clients love that her sessions are child-led which means giving space and guidance to young children to be themselves in their own environment. This leads to more true reflection of your family at this time in your life. All clients receive a collection of prints and the rights to fully edited digital files. Steph can design custom, heirloom albums and assist with wall galleries to display in your home. I invite you to learn more about the quality and feel of my offered products and art with this blog post.
Steph serves Philadelphia, Bucks County and The Main Line including:
Bryn Mawr | Media | Main Line | Gladwyne | Villanova | Radnor | Narberth | Wynwood | Ardmore | Malvern | Strafford | Chestnut Hill | Haverford | Merion | Penn Valley | Doylestown | New Hope | North Wales | Lansdale | Harleysville | Newtown Square | Collegeville